Wednesday, February 24, 2016

German Men Sit Down to Pee.... A Book Review

One thing that always surprises me, is when someone has actually read my blog. I mean, I know people read it, but when someone tells you they read a specific post, it's always a nice surprise. It kind of makes you feel like a celebrity sometimes!
In December, I received an email from a man named James Cave, who had read my post about moving to Germany. He co-wrote a book called "German Men Sit Down to Pee And Other Insights Into German Culture" and was hoping I could read it and make a review, seeing as I could soon be an "expert" in the subject (my words, not his). He sent me a copy of his book and I finally got around to reading it!
So here is my review:

Everyone knows Germans are an interesting people.... They follow rules like their lives depend on it, they eat a lot of sausage, make some of the best beer in the world, they don't have a sense of humour, are extremely efficient, that there are no speed limits on the Autobahn and well... there's the Nazis.
In German Men Sit Down to Pee, you are taught about German culture, all the quirky things Germans do, like wait for the green man to cross the street no matter what happens and some of the strange rules that are in place, like on some beaches, there are rules for the maximum size sandcastles can be. It also demystefies all those stererotypes that Germans have, though most of them are true, they all come with a twist;
-Germans DO have a sense of humour, we just don't understand it.
-The WWII times are discussed heavily, but Nazi salutes are illegal and Nazi jokes are not funny.
-There is more than one "Autobahn" (which literally just means motorway) and some do have speed limits.

I won't give away too much... You'll have to read it for yourself!

I've only been in Berlin for about 2 weeks now, but I did live in a German family for 2 months a few years ago, and I can definitely say that a lot, if not all of the things in this book are hilariously true. Some of them you're scratch your head and wonder what planet these people came from, and others you'll think "why don't we do this too?!"

All in all, it's a hilarious book, which also offers advice, and whether you plan to visit Germany for a few days or live there for a few years, it's definitely worth a read.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog